(Above)Roger on Dicks Creek near Dahlonega
“I joined GCA in the Spring of 1974, have been on the Board since November 1978 when I was appointed Exploration Chairman, was President in 1981-3, and was awarded an honorary life membership in 1986.” — Roger Nott
- Being a GCA Member for over four Decades: joining in 1974.
- Coordinating hundreds of trips and documenting them in great detail since 1976, including GCA Clean-Up Trips nearly every year. Recognized numerous times as Top Coordinator.
- Vanguarding as Exploration Chairman from 1978 -1981 and 1987- present. Documenting in the GCA Eddy Line many stream descriptions not previously published in any guidebook or the AW National database.
- Training GCA members in Open Canoe from 1980-1983.
- Serving as GCA President from 1981 to 1983 and an active Board Member from 1978 – present.
- Leading as a great promoter of the Southeastern US Slalom and Wildwater Championships – Volunteering and competing Slalom since 1980 in his Canadian Open Canoe. Soon after, he began competing in the Wildwater category. Presided as Race Master for seven of those years.
- Capturing Titles of The National ACA Slalom Champion and Medium Masters Champion (Cruising Class).
- Dedicating time to river preservation and access, (e.g., GCA Representative in the Chattooga Headwaters Suit since 1995, producing access to Sections 00, 0 and 1).
- Introducing and training Boy Scouts from Gainesville to paddle and love our rivers for thirty years: Head Canoe Instructor for Troop 16 since 1991.
- Diligently pursuing excellence as a Slalom and Wildwater Judge beginning in 1975. Becoming a National ACA Judge and International Canoe Federation Judge: traveling all over the country in that role at numerous events, including World Cups, US Team and Olympic Trials, National Championships and 2014 World Championships. The Prime Slalom Judge in the 1996 Olympics on the Ocoee river.
- Becoming the GCA Club Historian in 2000 and continuing to maintain that role.
- Founding member and former instructor of Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club.
- Life Memberships with the American Canoe Association and American Whitewater and home to 14 OC’s and C-1’s.
- A walking Encyclopedia of 383 named Southeastern Rivers and Creeks, many of which he has paddled a number of times as a regular river runner in the area since 1971.
The GCA is proud to present to Roger Nott the distinguished Lifetime Contributor Award. A paddle of honor will be presented as a symbol of our gratitude for your dedication and commitment. Thank you, Sir!