The Downriver Championships will begin in mass start waves and run 8 miles from the Forest Service’s private boater put-in just above Patton’s Run to Finish Rock just upstream of the NOC. The race is geared towards all paddlers and will likely include a few USA Team members who will be participating in the “championship” classes. To keep it interesting, the Georgia Canoeing Association will continue the tradition of paying you $100 if you break any of these course records:
- K-1 – Terry White, 42:04.85, 1981
- K-1W – Kathy Bolyn, 45:20, 1989
- C-1 – John Pinyerd, 46:43, 1997
- OC-2 – Bill Baxter and Les Bechdel, 50:06 1983
- C-2 – David Jones and Mike Hipsher, 45:11, 1989
- OC-1 – Angus Morrison, 50:12, 1983.
In the tradition of the Southeastern’s, recognition will also be given for the fastest downriver winners in these classes:
- Charlie Patton Award – fastest solo canoe (C-1 or OC-1)
- Julie Wilson Award – fastest female
- Ramone Eaton – OC-2.
These winners’ names and the fastest boater overall, usually a K-1, also are engraved on the old Southeastern’s trophies.
Awards for the downriver/wildwater and slalom races will be at Slow Joe’s Cafe starting around 6 pm. on Saturday evening, 8/18. There will be free live music at The Pourover beginning at 8:00 pm.
SCHEDULE for Saturday August 18th (assuming a 9:00 release):
- Downriver Volunteer Check In: 9:00 (Forest Service Put In)
- Downriver (+ early Slalom) Registration: 9:15 – 10:30 (Forest Service Put In)
- Downriver Competitors Meeting 10:30 (Forest Service Put In)
- Downriver Race Start (first Wave off) 11:00
- 11:30am-12:30pm – Slalom Registration – Event Tent near Slow Joe’s
- 12:45pm – Competitor’s Meeting – Event Tent near Slow Joe’s
- 1:00pm – Slalom Race Start (canoes) – Beach near Slow Joe’s
- 3:30pm – Slalom Race Start (kayaks) – Beach near Slow Joe’s
- 6:30pm – Downriver Awards and Slalom Raffle – Event Tent near Slow Joe’s
- 8:00pm – Live Music at Slow Joe’s
Come and race, volunteer to help with the race, or just watch and share the good times. For further information and updates about the Southeasterns contact:
- John Pinyerd: email@example.com – GCA’s SE Race Master (678.357.7843)
- Todd McGinnis: firstname.lastname@example.org
See you there!!!