At our Christmas Party we announced our Instructor Training Scholarship. The intent of this scholarship is to enhance GCA’s training program by recruiting experienced paddlers to become ACA-certified Level 4 Instructors for our classes. A maximum of one scholarship per year will be awarded, if a qualified candidate is selected. Applications for River Kayak, River Canoe, or Swiftwater Safety and Rescue will be accepted.
Candidates will be considered based on:
- Commitment/contribution to GCA, demonstrated by leading/helping with club trips and events
- Paddling ability and experience
- Current GCA member for at least 2 years
- Skill level – Competently paddling Class III or higher
- Coordinate a minimum of 5 official GCA trips (posted to GCA website calendar, with waiver completed and submitted)
- Agree to:
o Be an active member of the GCA Training Committee for the next three years.
o Maintain your membership in ACA and the ACA Safety, Education, and Instruction Committee (SEIC) as required to teach as an ACA Instructor
o Maintain your CPR and First Aid certifications as required to teach as an ACA Instructor
o Instruct or co-instruct in a minimum of two GCA instructional programs per year for the next three years.
o You will not charge another GCA member for instruction.
- Review ACA Instructor Criteria at: http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Instructor_Criteria
- Contact Jimmy Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org to get an application and some materials to start reviewing.
- Submit your initial application to email@example.com if interested, as soon as possible. (Don’t delay if you haven’t coordinated 5 trips for the club yet – you have all winter to get those in!)
- Paddle with current GCA instructors over the winter who can share their experience thru the certification process and help you identify items to work on in advance of the course.
- Demonstrate commitment by leading trips or helping with club events and roll practices.
- Submit final application by March 15