About this event:
Class is full but if you want to be on the waiting list fill out the form. Thanks!
This class is for the paddler with experience paddling whitewater (several times down a class II-II+ river) and previous instruction or the more experienced paddler looking for formal instruction.
In the Intro to Intermediate class, we will focus on:
- Strokes such as stern draw, sweeps, and forward stroke
- Eddy work including, catching an eddy, leaving an eddy(peel outs), and ferrying
- Posture and proper torso rotation to maximize efficiency
- Rolling. Including flat water work at the beginning, then progressing to rolling in current
- Basic water reading
- Group dynamics such as utilizing river signals
Day one we will work on the Tuckaseegee’s scenic gorge section then progress to the Nantahala River on Day 2. Please read the section on clothing selection as the Nantahala’s water temperature is in the 40’s even in summer.
For any questions, please contact the primary instructor for this class, Jimmy Jones at email@example.com , (478) 733 1023. While you are required to bring all of your own gear, please talk to the Instructor before purchasing gear—we want you to buy the appropriate gear and can help advise you!
PARTICIPANTS MUST PROVIDE ALL OF THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT. No gear is included in the clinic fee. Participants must have, at a minimum, the following:
- Whitewater kayak with floatation
- Paddling helmet (no bike helmets)
- Personal Flotation Device (life jacket, Type III or V; no horse collars or ski vests)
- Appropriate footwear (paddling booties, water shoes, etc.) that will not fall off during a swim
- Clothing appropriate to weather conditions and how cold-natured you are. Suggestions include:
- Neoprene wetsuit (farmer John/Jane style with no sleeves)
- Paddling splash jacket and/or pants
- Polyester fleece top
- Bathing suit
- Polypro underwear/long johns
- No cotton or denim
We also recommend:
- 1-2 liters of drinking water you can pack/clip in your boat
- Lunch you can pack in your boat
If you do not have your own gear, the following places can rent gear to you. Please call them to inquire about arranging a gear rental.
- Go With the Flow (Roswell, GA) – (770) 992-3200
- The Outside World (Dawsonville, GA) – (866) 375-BOAT(2628)
- Nantahala Outdoor Center – Bryson City, NC- 828.488.7230.
- Call the Coordinator before purchasing gear
Registration Fee: Free for GCA members
You must be able to swim and should not panic with your head under water.
Whitewater paddling is a physically and mentally challenging activity that requires fitness, flexibility, and a positive attitude in stressful situations. WW kayaking can be a high-risk activity for individuals with a history of shoulder dislocations. Applicants should discuss potential physical limitations with the Coordinator before signing up.