About this event:
Many kayakers carry hand paddles as a spare, but may not practice with them often.
Come on out and learn, practice, and share tips with other hand-paddlers.
Bring your usual paddle gear (including hand paddles)
Hand paddling can give you new perspective on a familiar run and improve your river reading skills. Many hand paddlers find they have more control, but not quite as much power as with a traditional stick paddle. They learn to read water better and plan their moves further in advance.
If you are not an ACA member, $5 is required for ACA event insurance.
Location: Meet at the Powers Island Put-in by 2:00 to drop gear and set shuttle. GPS: 33.903352,-84.441479
We will take out at Paces Mill. GPS: 33.869204,-84.454932
Parking in the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (CRNRA) is $3 for a day pass, bring exact change.
Gear/Equipment: PARTICIPANTS MUST PROVIDE ALL OF THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT! No gear is provided. Participants must have at a minimum the following:
- Whitewater kayak
- Helmet (Nose plugs recommended, such as Smiley or Cottonmouth)
- Personal flotation device
- Spray skirt
- Hand Paddles
- Floatation bags
- Appropriate footwear (paddling booties, water shoes, etc.) is required. Thin, lower-profile shoes are suggested. Flip flops are not recommended because they will fall off during a swim. Sandals such as Tevas, Chacos do not fit well in whitewater kayaks and have the potential to get hung inside the kayak during a flip.
- Also suggested is synthetic clothing such as the following, depending upon how cold-natured you are:
- Neoprene wetsuit (farmer John/Jane style with no sleeves)
- Paddling splash jacket or drytop
- Polyester fleece top
- Bathing suit
- Polypro underwear/long johns
- NO COTTON GARMENTS are permitted
We also recommend the following:
- Plenty of bottled water
- Lunch you can pack in your boat
- Waterproof camera if desired
For any questions, contact Jim Tebbel at email@example.com.