This is a lovely and scenic river, very quiet, relatively little development, even today, and the falls are always interesting. There are also several shoals offering challenges to the beginner.
Portage the falls over the rocks on river right. Note that river right is the left side of this picture.
You can lower your boat and walk around through the woods.
- River Difficulty: Trained Beginner (Class I-II)
- Distance: 6.0 miles (Highway 9 to Castleberry Bridge Rd.)
- Avg Gradient: 16.2 fpm
- Hazards: 14′ Waterfall should be portaged!
- Minimum Suggested Level: 4.3′ (4.8′ recommended)
- Levels: 250 CFS is wonderful with lots of passable lines.
- Max: 8.5? (Per trip report)
- Water Levels
- Put In / Take Out Location
- Nearby Outfitters
- Article Search
- Images/Video Search
- AW Information
- Google Earth Map
USGS Water Gauge:
Put In / Take Out Location:
Put In: 34.514953, -84.060401 : Limited Parking
Take Out: 34.472879, -84.036969: More parking than take out.
Rents: Kayaks, canoes, Sit On Tops
Location: At the end of GA400, turn left. Drive 3.5 miles and they will be on the left.