A Florida 16 year old girl has died from an amoeba infection.
The girl was said to have been swimming in the St. Johns River in Brevard County. with her family. She became very ill and within a matter of a few days had to be rushed to the hospital.
The doctors that examined her said the she was in critical condition when she arrived at the hospital. They also said was suffering from a deadly infection which was more than likely caused by an amoeba that was in the water where she was swimming.
Amoebiasis, or Amebiasis, refers to infection caused by the amoeba Entamoeba histolytica.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to confirm the findings by the teen’s Orlando doctors. According to the CDC, this brain infection, which is very rare, has taken the lives of 30 Floridians since the year 1937.
How do you know if you have contracted it? One of the symtoms is a change in smell. Some people have reported that everything smells like burnt toast.